Best Folding Electric Wheelchair: Our #1 Choice in 2022
Choosing the best folding electric wheelchair can be a daunting task. There are many different models on the market and the quality can vary quite a bit.
Folding electric wheelchairs can range in price from $1,500 all the way up to $3,500+. They also come with a variety of different features depending on the model.
Just a few years ago the choice was much more limited, but in recent years many companies have come out with different wheelchairs. As a result, quality has improved quite a bit.
Over the years we have tested many different wheelchairs here at Folding Mobility. In this article we are going to be revealing our favourite folding electric wheelchair in 2022. We have based this on a variety of different factors. These include:
- Ease of use
- How easy it is to transport
- Is it easy to store?
- Can it be taken on planes?
- How it looks
- Versatility – Where can it be used
- Battery life
We have considered all the above to decide on the best folding electric wheelchair. Whilst there were several wheelchairs that were very close at the top, there was one that stood out from the rest.
Our favorite folding electric wheelchair “The Elite Electric Wheelchair”
Our top choice for the best folding electric wheelchair is “The Elite Electric Wheelchair” from Elite Scooters. This chair stood out to us for several reasons. Firstly, the price is lower than we would expect for a wheelchair of this quality. In fact we actually believe that this wheelchair is under-priced.
Throughout 2019 and 2022 we have tested lots of different wheelchairs, and these have ranged in price from $1,500, to over $3,000. What we really like about “The Elite”, is it feels much more premium than other chairs in the same price bracket.
Pros of “The Elite Electric Wheelchair”
- Price – As we mentioned the price is nearer the lower end for a folding electric wheelchair. In our testing we did not find anything close to this price that compared on quality.
- Ease of use – Like many folding electric wheelchairs, “The Elite Electric Wheelchair” is very easy to use. It folds and unfolds in a matter of seconds and the controls are easy to operate. The hand control has a joystick that provides excellent control and makes the wheelchair extremely easy to maneuver.
- Transport – This is a big factor for many people when choosing a folding electric wheelchair. One of the main considerations, is whether it fits in the trunk of a car. The good news is, that once folded “The Elite Electric Wheelchair” is quite compact, this means it will fit in most car boots with plenty of room to spare.
- Storage – As we have already mentioned, this wheelchair is lightweight and compact when folded, this means it is ideal for storage. Once it is folded down it can easily be tucked away in a corner or a small cabinet.
- Air travel – As standard this wheelchair comes with 24V 10Ah lithium batteries, which can be taken on planes. They also have a great guide on how to add this electric wheelchair to your airline reservation
- Versatility – Due to its lightweight and powerful motor ”The Elite” is surprisingly versatile. It can be used on a variety of different terrains, including uneven and lose ground. It also performs quite well on grass. However, we would not recommend driving on wet grass.
- Battery Life – This is mid- to top-range for the chairs we tested. We did test some chairs that had a battery life of up to 18+ miles. “The Elite” will last for 12 miles. That’s about 6x the distance that the average American walks in a day – so it should be more than adequate for most people’s daily use.
Click here to view the Elite Electric Wheelchair and learn more
Cons – Reasons this might not be the best chair for you
Whilst there are plenty of pros to this wheelchair, it is also important that we mention any potential negatives. These are reasons you might decide this is not the best folding electric wheelchair for your own personal needs.
- Max weight capacity – This wheelchair has a maximum user weight of 264 pounds (120 kg). We also found that the performance did drop slightly on steep inclines once the user weight surpassed 250 pounds (114 kg). This was not a huge drop in performance, but it was noticeable.
- It is important to note, that up to 250 pounds we did not notice any difference in performance.
- It is important to note, that up to 250 pounds we did not notice any difference in performance.
- If you decide to get a second battery, then that battery must be connected by hand when the first one runs out of power. In most cases you will not need a second battery. But in the rare case that you need to travel more than 20 miles on a single charge, be aware that you will have to disconnect the first battery and connect the cable to the second battery. The second spare battery does fit securely in the undercarriage, but it will not automatically draw power until you connect it. We did not find this to be a significant problem, but it is something to be aware of.
- The horn noise – Really this is just nit-picking, but we weren’t keen on the horn noise. It was more of a beep than a horn. With that said, it is very loud and certainly alerts people of your presence.
These were the only real issues we found with the chair, and in our opinion the only one that could be a deal breaker is the weight limit.
Obviously if you are over 265 pounds (120 kg), then this is not going to be the best chair for you.
Main Features of “The Elite Electric Wheelchair”
- Beautiful sleek design, in silver, black and red
- Easy to fold and unfold
- Due to being a narrow chair it easily fits through doorways
- Perfect for outdoor use
- Works great on uneven terrain
- Anti-tip wheels to the rear
- Long-range 24 V X 10 Ah battery (airline approved)
- Fast max speed
- Max user weight capacity – 265 pounds (120 kg)
In conclusion, if you are under 265 pounds, we would recommend this wheelchair. For the price nothing else really came close.
Click here to view the wheelchair and learn more
In the next section we will be looking at the best folding electric wheelchairs for people who are over 20 stone.
3 Best Folding Electric Wheelchair for over 265 pounds
There are lots of folding electric wheelchairs available with a higher weight capacity. Generally, these will always be slightly more expensive than lower weight capacity models. This is mainly due to the chair materials needing to be slightly more robust.
Below you can see our 3 Best folding electric wheelchairs for people over 265 pounds.
1. Majestic Carbon Steel – Max weight up to 365 pounds
There are several reasons that we like the Majestic. Firstly it is still under $2,000, so it is quite a reasonable price for the quality it provides.
It is also very nice to drive. It has a top speed of 4mph, and the ride is very smooth. This is due to the chairs advanced suspension system and is very effective when you are travelling on rougher terrain.
Below are some of the main features of the Foldalite Pro:
- Price – $1,999.00
- High user weight capacity – 365 pounds (165 kg)
- 3 different colours to choose from (Blue, red, and bronze)
- Easy to fold and unfold in a few seconds
- Perfect for indoor and outdoor use
- Added suspension for a smooth comfortable ride
- Battery range on single charge – 13 miles
- Wheelchair weight including batteries 59 lbs (27 kg)
You can read more about the Majestic here.
2. Malisa Mobility Reclining Electric Wheelchair
This electric wheelchair from Malisa was another wheelchair that we really liked. This model is priced at $2,150, but we still felt that it was very good value for the money.
The chair has a high load capacity at 286 pounds (130 kg) and is very lightweight. It is also extremely easy to fold and unfold. It also reclines, which is not for everyone but if that’s something that you are interested in then this electric wheelchair by Malisa may be right for you.
Below are some of the main features of the Malisa Reclining Electric Wheelchair:
- Price – $2,149.00
- Available in 4 different colours (black, red, blue, and bronze)
- Reclining positions available
- Suitable for use on all kinds of terrain
- Small turning circle
- Perfect for travel
- Fits easily into most car trunks
- 2 X 7.5Ah lithium batteries (airline approved)
- Battery range on a single charge 19 miles
- Max user weight capacity – 286 pounds (130 kg)
- Wheelchair weight including batteries 61 pounds (27.6 kg)
Click here to learn more about the Malisa Reclining Electric Wheelchair, and read customer reviews on Amazon.
3. IQ-8000 Max Lightweight Electric Wheelchair with Headrest
Our last option also comes from Majestic. With a weight capacity of 310 pounds (140 kg), the IQ-8000 Max comes with reliability and durablity still with a affordable price tag.
Just like “The Majestic Carbon Steel” the quality of this chair is very high. The IQ-8000 Max also comes with a headrest, and perhaps more interestingly, a remote control. We are not sure why you would need a remote control for your electric wheelchair, but this one does indeed come with the ability to drive your device remotely with no driver in the driver’s seat.
The ride on the IQ-8000 Max is very smooth and it can easily manage most everyday terrain.
Below are some of the main features of the IQ-8000 Max:
- Price – $2,199.00 (still a great price for this quality of wheelchair)
- Available in 5 colors (Bronze, black, blue, red, and silver)
- Comes with a remote control to drive remotely
- Very easy to fold and unfold
- Good on all types of terrain
- 20Ah lithium battery (airline approved)
- Battery range on a single charge 17 miles
- Wheelchair weight 56 pounds (25.4 kg)
- Comes with an attached headlight, a built-in USB charger, and a tire pump accessory
Finding the best folding electric wheelchair can sometimes seem like a challenge. There are plenty of choices, and there are various things to consider before you purchase.
With that said if you are under 265 pounds and are looking for a high-performance, reliable folding electric wheelchair, then we 100% recommend “The Elite” from Elite Scooters.
Based on our own testing, it cannot be beaten on price. It has all the features of a $2,500 wheelchair but is $1,000 cheaper. What’s more is that throughout our conversations, Elite Scooters offered fantastic customer service. This includes after care, such as service and repairs in your own home.
Also, if you have any questions please leave them in the comments below.